How to Sample for Oak Wilt Central TX
How to Sample for Oak Wilt Austin TX
How samples are taken and handled is vital to the success of a laboratory analysis. By following the steps outlined below, the chance of recovery is greatly improved.
- Select symptomatic limbs from trees.
- Dead limbs and those in an advanced state of decline cannot be used for isolation.
- Samples should be 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter and 6 inches long.
- Send in leaf tissue from sampled limbs. These will help to diagnose the problem if the oak wilt fungus is not isolated from the limb samples. Keep the two samples separate.
- Keep samples cool during sampling and shipping, but don’t freeze tissue.
- Ship samples in sealed plastic bags. Do not add water or wet materials to the sample.
- Ship in an ice chest with a frozen freezer block.
- Ship by bus, overnight mail or bring in person to the laboratory. The samples should be shipped on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. The samples will arrive at the laboratory, so that they can be processed that week.
- Results from the isolations will be available in 2 to 3 weeks. Reply time depends on how fast the fungus develops in culture.
- A Certified Arborist should be consulted, prior to collection of samples, and if at all possible, should do the sampling.
Oak Wilt may be confirmed by isolating the fungus from diseased tissues in a laboratory. Samples can be submitted to:
Texas Plant Disease Diagnostic Laboratory
Texas Agricultural Extension Service
1500 Research Pkwy, Rm 130
MS. 2589 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-2132
Real Green Lawn Care
Free Lawn Analysis
For fast service, fill out this form for a free, no obligation lawn analysis. You don’t have to be home for your analysis. The professionals from Real Green Pest and Lawn will take a look at your lawn and leave all of our findings conveniently at your front door.
Austin Lawn Care Services
We are a complete lawn service company!
Real Green's lawn service is customized to your lawn with professional grade products and fight the tough, drought related weeds, lawn-damaging bugs and disease while providing a nutrient-rich diet and water saving products to thicken and green up your lawn. No more messy fertilizer and chemical storage. No more concerns about burning your yard. You water and mow, we’ll do the rest.
Tree & Shrubs
Tree & Shrubs
Call For Your FREE Service Estimate!
Real Green Services
Serving Austin & Central Texas
Real Green Services are known for our great service and low prices throughout Austin and the Central Texas area. We currently service all of Austin and a large portion of the Central Texas area, please call us if you have any questions!
Most Popular Services
Deep Root Fertilization | Lawn Care | Lawn Aeration | Pest Control | Rodent Control | Termite Control | Sprinkler Repair | Mouse Control | Weed Control | Lawn Fertilization